We published a previous post on a topic called Sjögren’s Syndrome.
You are most likely reading this because you, a spouse, a child or friend is suffering from a dry mouth, dry eyes, etc. We are focusing here on the mouth.
Here are 3 dental tips for Sjögren’s Sufferers:
1. Choose a dentist that is familiar with Sjögren’s Syndrome.
- How many patients have they seen with Sjögren’s Syndrome?
- How to they make your visit more comfortable?
- What methods do they use to help mouth pain?
- Avoid removable dentures. It’s like wearing sandpaper.
- Consider dental implants as a viable option, for they cannot get cavities.
2. Review the list of supplements and medications for the cause of xerostomia (dry mouth).
Thousands of medications cause dry mouth. Seek healthy alternatives to alleviate your suffering and dental problems such as cavities, sore gums, cracked teeth, missing teeth, mouth infections.
3. If you are suffering with cavities, failed crowns, failed bridges – DO NOT REPLACE THEM.
Consider dental implants, for they are not prone to getting painful cavities. Dental implants alleviate suffering, pain and irritating gums. They take the pressure off the gums, allowing gum tissues to heal. I developed a special set of techniques just for people suffering with Sjögren’s Syndrome. It’s called 3 Minute Implant – here’s an intro video on how it works.
I was reading a patient-friendly website last week from the Sjögren’s Syndrome Foundation, and wanted to share it with you today. They have bounds of great information, tips and products to help those suffering with Sjögren’s Syndrome. They are based in Bethesda, MD, but serve people worldwide.
If you are in the Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Rockville area and need advice about your mouth or dental treatment for Sjögren’s, feel free to give us a call or drop us a note.
All the best,
Dr. Joe Kravitz, DDS, MS
Dentist, Prosthodontist, Author, Researcher
Rockville, MD, Virginia, Washington, DC