The mouth is a complex entrance to your digestive system.
Chock full of acids to digest foods you eat. The saliva buffers the acids in a healthy mouth to help prevent cavities and gum disease.
However, Sjögren’s Syndrome patients lose their ability to protect the mouth for the saliva is reduced or missing. Cavities form easily within 7 minutes as shown in my book, Dirty Mouth. It’s even worse with Sjögren’s sufferers.
In an effort to help you avoid increased destruction of your teeth, gums and bones, I offer…
The Top Five Things Sjögren’s Patients Should Avoid :
- Alcohol mouthwashes. They will deplete moisture content of the mouth.
- Abrasive toothpastes. They will cause micro abrasions, wear down teeth and gum tissues.
- Rinsing with diluted sugar/acid filled beverages such as Gatorade, Powerade, sodas, tea, coffee, and juices.
- Denture adhesives. They will cause repeated sore spots called epulis fissuratum.
- Dentures. The denture materials are too abrasive.
Consider getting rid of your abrasive denture. Consider the 3 Minute Implant. The dental implant can restore your delayed teeth, broken teeth, and missing teeth in one day. The dental implants can be place and restored with a custom set of natural teeth in one visit.
In a future article, we’ll discuss the process of dental implants for the Sjögren’s Syndrome patient.
[box type=”note”]Reach out for more info or schedule your next dental visit with us.[/box]
All the best,
Dr. Joe Kravitz, DDS, MS
Dentist, Prosthodontist, Author, Researcher
Rockville, MD, Virginia, Washington, DC